About the Center for Humane Technology (CHT)
CHT's mission is to realign technology with humanity's best interests. We reframe the insidious effects of persuasive technology, expose the runaway systems beneath, and deepen the capacity of leaders across sectors and global decision-makers to take wise action. In 2020, CHT was thrilled to support the development and release of The Social Dilemma, the acclaimed Netflix documentary directed by Jeff Orlowski-Yang on the existential threats posed by social media, reaching an estimated 100 million viewers worldwide.
Learn more at humanetech.com
About the Position
Center for Humane Technology is seeking a skilled project manager to serve as Chief of Staff to Tristan Harris, the Co-Founder and Executive Director of Center for Humane Technology.
This is a highly unique position for someone already immersed in CHT’s work and philosophy who wants to use their project management skills to make a tangible impact in the world. This role will support Tristan closely and attend key meetings with him (multiple per week.) As a result, we are looking for someone based in San Francisco, California who is able to travel with him as needed. Schedule flexibility and enthusiasm to travel is required.
This role will report into the Chief Operating Officer, Maria Bridge, who will provide day-to-day management, guidance, and coaching. In addition, you will work in sync with Abby Hall, the Director of Scheduling and Advance, who manages Tristan’s calendar. Together, Tristan, Abby, Maria, and you will work as a cohesive unit to maximize the strategic impact of Tristan’s time and attention.
Ensure strategic outcomes from meetings and initiatives
- Support Tristan (and CHT) through strategic preparation & background research
- Attend meetings with Tristan, taking high-impact notes that capture outstanding items, questions, next steps, and your recommendations
- Work cohesively with Maria Bridge (Chief Operating Officer) and Abby Hall (Director of Scheduling and Advance) to triage and close out open items
- Apply a strategic lens. Devise ways to further accelerate the work (if appropriate), especially by leveraging CHT’s network, partners, and allies.
Move strategic initiatives forward with efficiency
- Create and execute project plans, ensuring the essential elements don’t get dropped while not adding too much unnecessary detail
- Serve as a delegate for Tristan where possible to enable freeing up his time
- Run debriefs and post-mortems as needed to capture and incorporate lessons learned
Create written materials and presentations
- Draft emails on behalf of Tristan and in his ‘voice’
- Compose documents and other materials as a follow up to meetings
- Collaborate on presentations, op-eds, and other external communications
Strategically triage Tristan’s incoming opportunities
- In coordinate with Maria Bridge and Abby Hall, help manage Tristan’s priorities to ensure accountability and delivery
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key partners and contacts
- Work closely with Director of Scheduling, PR Team, and Chief Operating Officer to prioritize Tristan’s commitments (e.g., meetings, speaking engagements, inbound requests, and other forms of support)
- Terms: Full-time permanent role with 90 day trial period
- Compensation & Benefits: $130-150k annual salary, paid time off, medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401K with 4% matching
- Location: San Francisco Bay Area to allow for in-person Bay Area collaboration with Tristan
Reporting & Collaboration
This role reports to Chief Operating Officer, Maria Bridge, with a dotted line to Tristan Harris. Maria will provide day-to-day management and will guide you in how to best support Tristan and by extension, the organization.
2+ years of fast-paced, external-facing project management work, as developed in management consulting or similar
- Excited by juggling many opportunities at once
- Strong discernment for what’s worth pursuing and what isn’t
- Enthusiasm for organizing chaos. Likes systems and order, but not at the expense of getting things done (impact)
- High attention to detail, but has the ability to roll with scenarios that are imperfect
- Can quickly create realistic action plans that balance detail and speed
- Strong communicator, skilled at keeping collaborators informed
2+ years working with a wide-variety of external stakeholders, as developed in management consulting or similar work
- Ability to expertly read a room, and know when to hold back or jump in
- Ability to work well with a wide-variety of people and professional backgrounds
High familiarity with CHT’s work, as well as the work of our thought partners and allies. Deep care about existential risk, the role of technology on society, and understanding the drivers of human behavior.
- E.g., you may have listened to almost all of our Your Undivided Attention catalogue, watched multiple talks on our YouTube and other related channels, have completed the Foundations of Humane Technology course, read related books on the topic like Neil Postman’s “Amusing Ourselves to Death”, Orwell’s “1984” or Donella Meadows’s works. You dive deep into game theory.
- E.g., you may be highly familiar with the work of these CHT thought partners, allies and advisors: Daniel Schmachtenberger (Consilience Project), Audrey Tang, Jon Haidt, Zebras Unite, New Public_, and Zak Stein.
- This understanding will have been developed over 6+ months, potentially much longer.
- Excellent written skills, able to polish materials for external sharing (emails, presentations, etc) with zero-defect and good design sense.
- Operates with the highest level of confidentiality, always exercising discretion
Enthusiasm for traveling with Tristan at times on short notice
Flexibility, scrappiness, strategic organization, creativity, and good humor
Passion for our mission to realign technology with humanity’s best interests!
Bonus, not required
- Visual storytelling skills (able to make presentations, documents beautiful)
- Prior work experience in tech, particularly in a tech role
- Prior work experience in government, especially geo-political experience
CHT encourages individuals of all learning styles, ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. Additionally, research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all of the qualifications. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described as we are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to supporting this work.
CHT is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability, any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, stalking, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local law or that of persons with whom that individual associates, or any other legally protected characteristics.